Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Here we go....

Wow.

Pretty much the best word for what we are about to embark on. We had our first therapy appointment yesterday. It's in Woodbury, so the poor little guy fell asleep on the way there. Kills me how he does it. He was sitting up straight and slowly crept forward until he was completely bent over at the hip, head hanging down, and asleep. Out cold. How does he do that?? Anyway, he popped up when the GPS lady says "Arrival on right."

He didn't really want to go in and brought some trucks with to "drive" on the way. (He holds them at the window and watches them "drive" on the road). Anyway, they proved to be more of a distraction than I had bargained on and he wasn't too thrilled to be going in. Eventually the very nice lady had him "park" the truck in a "garage" (on a board under the monkey bars). I love how these people don't question a thing. I found myself trying to explain that they are something that helps his security when he's nervous. (Did you know that on his first trip to Camp Barnabas he took a yellow car? And that it is in EVERY single picture that was taken of him during that whole week?) Anyway, they just smiled and were like, "yeah, that's just fine." I thought maybe I better not bring them next time (my goal was to keep him awake while he "drove" there. Yes, I brought the trucks, not him.) But they were just fine with it. I guess I forgot where I was and that these people see this every day.

He did great and worked very hard they said. He always does.
But he has no interest in going back.

Ugh. Sorry buddy.

We go every Tuesday and Thursday after school and on Saturday mornings.
For the next 3 months.

And then there's the home program.
Wow, doesn't cut it. More like YIKES!

We have certain exercises to do with him anywhere from 3- 7 times a day, some on certain days, some everyday. Music to listen to, except only in the left ear. Or is it the right? Every day, 3-5 times a day. Limited Screen Time. And in 2 weeks he will have a nutritional adjustment. If I was a bettin' woman, I'd say we are going to have to go Gluten and Dairy free first right off the bat. Right now though, we already have to have NO junk food or fast food during this time and no artificial colors, and decrease his sugar by 90%. A whole bunch of others I can share along the way. But for now....YIKES.

Oh yeah, and we have to journal and record everything. What we do, when we do it, how long we do it, and how he handles it all.

I felt very overwhelmed yesterday.

But then I thought about it.

I have a leg up with Shaun in this house. His knowledge and cooking skills will make this sooo much easier.

I am going to get a ton of interaction with my little guy.

Our whole family - in support of him- will be on these dietary changes and doing these exercises right along with him. And he won't feel left out.

We could all be a lot healthier. Tired. But healthier.

And the one that got me the most.

It's 12 weeks.

12 weeks that could ultimately change the next 30 years.


1 comment:

  1. Wow! I wish you well and hope everything goes how you want it. It is overwhelming, but think of how your experience will help so many other families who may try this therapy. You are amazing and will do your best. Good luck to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete